Author Pankaj Goyal- The Guide For Startup Businesses
In the present market condition, we can witness an increase in the number of startup businesses. Some startups taste the flavor of success and some need to leave the industry experiencing failure. Many still planning for their startups. There is a need for an experienced guide who can help startups in shaping their business in a better way. Mr. Pankaj Goyal is one such author who realized the importance of the guide and penned down the book Before You Start Up and also its Hindi Version Business Ka Sapna Poora Karne Ki Guide. Today we have with us Pankaj Ji and he shared with us his journey in the industry.
1) Welcome, Mr. Pankaj Goyal. It’s a pleasure to have you on Indiacafe24.com. Our readers would surely want to have a sneak peek about your background. Kindly share a brief about you, your education, and your family.
Pankaj Goyal: Thanks for having me. I grew up in Jaipur and Kota in a middle-class family. I have fond memories of living with my grandparents. Being in Kota, preparing for IIT JEE was a given path. So, I followed that, got into Computer Science at IIT Kanpur. Then did my MBA from IIM Bangalore. I am like any of us – a middle class ambitious hard-working guy.
2) Which Indian authors inspired you the most?
Pankaj Goyal: In fiction, Chetan Bhagat changed the game. He targeted the right demographics with masala stories in simple English.
In non-fiction, I haven’t found a good book from an Indian author. Actually, my book is the only Indian author-written book in the top 10 Business self-help books on Amazon.
3) Novels and especially the Romance genre is ruling the market. In such a market scenario you released Before You Start Up. Was it not a risky attempt?
Pankaj Goyal: My aim was to help and motivate the young generation in India to start new businesses, prepare well, and succeed. Our PM Mr. Modi has been focusing on promoting grassroots entrepreneurship; and I am contributing to it in a small way through my book.
Book Review: Click to Read
4) Were there any past experiences that instigated you to pen down a book on this topic?
Pankaj Goyal: The book is based on my past experiences. I ran my own startup from 2008 to 2011; which was moderately successful. I did some things right and made some mistakes. This book is a reflection of my learnings.
5) Which genre(s) are your favorite and why?
Pankaj Goyal: I like non-fiction. I don’t read fiction. Good authors synthesize their years of learning into a book. And if I can learn from their knowledge, that’s great for me.
6) You remained an outstanding student and in general lucrative job offers are always there for IITians …. but you planned for entrepreneurship … why?
Pankaj Goyal: Because I always wanted to – from my school days. Bill Gates was my childhood hero. I took up a job at McKinsey to save some money. For me, it was a matter of when not if. It is important to have role models. I am happy now we have role models in India also.