Recipe For Making Delicious Modaks This Ganesh Chaturthi
Ganesh Chaturthi is just round the corner and people everywhere are busy preparing for the festivities. Preparing a Prasad of modaks is an integral part of the festivities, as Lord Ganesha loves these sweet dumplings. Given below is a recipe for preparing delicious modaks to please the lord.
To start the preparation, you would need the following things.
- 2 cups rice flour
- 1 ¼ cup of grated jiggery
- 2 cups freshly grated coconut
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- ½ tablespoon cardamom powder
- 1 tablespoon ghee
Actual Way Of Preparing Modaks
Given below is a step by step method of preparing the modaks.
- Boil 1¾ cups of water in a deep pan and then use it to knead the flour into soft and smooth dough by adding water and some ghee gradually to the flour.
- Once the dough prepared, keep it covered at a side for 10 minutes.
- Take a deep non stick pan and heat the jiggery in it for 1-2 minutes or until it melts, while stirring continuously.
- Now add grated coconut, poppy seeds and cardamom to the jiggery paste and mix the ingredients well.
- Cook this mixture on slow flame for 4-5 minutes or till it loses all the moisture and becomes thick.
- Switch off the gas and leave the mixture to cool for some time.
- When the mixture has cooled enough, divide it into 21 equal parts and keep aside.
- Take the dough and divide it also into 21 parts.
- Taking one part at a time, roll it into a ball first and then flatten it slightly.
- Give a flowery shape to the edges with the help of the fingers and thumb.
- Place a spoonful of the mixture in the centre and roll edges so that they taper to the center and seal the filling.
- Once all the modaks have been thus prepared, steam cook them for 10-15 minutes.
Once the modaks are ready, plate them in an attractive manner or according to specific traditions. Offer them to Lord Ganesha and seek his blessings for a life full of health, happiness and prosperity!